Under the leadership of Pastor Heinrich von Rohr, the first church was built in Walmore with the first service held on November 1, 1846.
The following is recorded by Heinrich von Rohr regarding the building of the church at Wallmow.
"On this day (November 1, 1846) it is completed except the church chairs and the dressing of the Upper-church and the knob with these writings of memories to be placed onto the tower. The bricklayer, Jacob Ort, built this church and the carpenters and Christian brothers T. Gottfried Steinke and D. Heinrich Plaster did the inside trim and carpenter work. The bricks were made by two Christian young men, William Glode and Friedrich Haseley, north of the church where they were burnt, on the acre of the Christian widow, Euphrosine Walk. She gave the acre of land upon which the church and school stand. She gave it to the congregation without charge, (cost)."
In 1851 a formal dedication of the new church took place with Pastor Kindermann of Wisconsin as guest preacher. The first vestrymen and trustees of the congregation were as follows:
Vestrymen: Friedrich Haseley
Trustees: Friedrich Wendt
Pastor von Rohr returned to Walmore in 1867 and served here until his death in 1874. Heinrich von Rohr is buried on St. Peter's cemetery.
The official name of our church, "The Old Lutheran Church of New Wallmow" remained in effect until the name was formally changed to St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church of Walmore on January 17, 1959. The name of St. Petri Gemeinde zu Wallmow is on the cover of the printed constitution in 1896 and is also used at the dedication of the church on November 28, 1915, as published in Die Wachende Kirche.
Since the church built in 1846 required extensive repairs, it was decided in January 1914 to build a new church. That month, a building committee of twelve was appointed at a meeting with thirty-eight members present. More than one fourth of the total cost of the new church was pledged at that meeting.
The cornerstone of the new church was laid on April 28,1915, and the church was dedicated to the Glory of God on November 28,1915, the first Sunday of Advent. Four services were held, starting with a farewell service in the old church at 9:30 a.m. and followed by the dedication services in the new sanctuary. (Total cost was about $20,000) The church is built of red Medina sandstone. The dimensions are 39' by 68 feet, with a chancel 14' deep and a 100 foot steeple. The church is designed in Gothic architecture, and the interior decorated by church artist, Christanson. The two windows in the chancel show Christ as the Good Shepherd, and the Apostle Paul. The art-glass windows at the front of the nave depict St. Peter and St. John. The remainder of the windows are designs of religious symbolic significance. The high altar is enriched with a painting of the Lord's Supper and a life-size statue of Christ. The two manual organ dedicated at this service has a total of seventeen registrations.
The sanctuary was redecorated in 1943, the year of our 100th Anniversary. In 1956 the carpeting was replaced and new lighting fixtures were installed in 1957.
A refurbishing and repair program was initiated in 1980. The old slate roof was replaced with an asphalt roof. The ceiling was insulated, a complete new gas heating system and fans were installed and the steeple repaired. Red carpeting was laid, the pews, floor and front railings were refinished, and a Communion rail was installed, matching the Gothic architecture of the church. New oak church entrance doors were placed. The statue of Christ which enhances the altar was repainted and redecorated. The Lord's Supper relief picture which comes from the original church was also redone.
April 21, 1991 was the dedication date for a major addition to the church. The new glass-walled spacious entrance at ground level, provides a sheltered entry and is handicapped accessible; a lift is installed next to the broad stairway. A meeting room, cloak room and lavatories are also a welcome addition.